Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wanted: The Media That We Need

           There are many media opportunities available to the public today.  In we live in an “I need it now and I want it now” society.  Luckily for us, it is easier than ever to access up-to-the-minute news from all over the world.

In my last blog I talked about the popular question; “Do we get the media we want or do we want the media we get?” and I wrote in favour of us wanting the media we get.  But after reading several of my classmate’s blogs it seems many disagreed with my stance and said that we get the media we want.  I am not surprised with the amount in disagreement as if it weren’t a widely disputed topic it wouldn’t be still talked about.  My classmate’s raised some very convincing points.

            In Shannon McGinnis’ blog, she sided in favour of us getting the media we want.  She spoke about television shows and how shows are being made to please the audience and speak to their wants.  She wrote, “Television and movie producers are constantly trying to accommodate to their viewers needs”.  She also went to say that the success of television shows is solely based off of viewer satisfaction and ratings.

            In Tyler Nakamura’s blog, he talked about the mass volume of media available to us; this was the point in his blog that convinced me.  He wrote, “Clearly we have the media we want, because I don’t see how someone could ask more from their media resources.”

            In Sam Dixon’s blog, he agrees with my stance on the issue.  His main argument point was our reliance on the media is inconceivably high.  “We want what the media is giving us and that we could no longer function without it.” Which is an extreme way of saying that we want the media we get.  Although it is extreme, it is true, we would be entirely lost without the media surrounding us constantly.

            Despite very convincing blogs from Shannon and Tyler, I still feel we want the media we get.  It is an interesting topic and will continue to be widely disputed for the for-seeable future.
           
Blog URL’s
           
Shannon McGinnis’ Blog: http://www.sm13hm.blogspot.ca/


No comments:

Post a Comment